Middlesex Association for the Blind are responsible for administering the Meek Legacy Holiday Grant Scheme. The scheme provides funding towards a holiday for individuals with a visual impairment or can provide funding towards an affiliated clubs’ group outing. Information about the grant can be found below, following further information about holidays.
Information on holidays
Traveleyes offer a range of accessible holidays for those seeking to holiday at home or abroad. Details of these can be found on the Traveleyes website. Disabled holidays dot com also offer a range of UK and Overseas holidays for the blind and visually impaired. Similarly the Disabilities Holiday Guide provides a range of holidays both home and abroad.
For those considering a break in the UK, Revitalise offer holidays in the UK at their centres in Epping Forest, Netley (Southampton) and Southport. Providing accesible holidays for the disabled and their carers, they provide a welcome break. Or if you fancy a trip to Blackpool, the Bond Hotel caters for those with visual impairments. AccessAble provides information on accessible venues across the UK including hotels and restaurants.
If you fancy something a little more active, you can enjoy skiing with Ski 2 Freedom. They offer a range of skiing holidays in Switzerland, France, Norway and Sweden.
If you would like join the crew onboard a tall ship, the Jubilee Sailing Trust provides holidays that cater for those with a range of physical disabilities including vision loss. You will be part of a crew comprising both permanent crew and ‘trainees’. You do not need to have previous experience to enjoy these holidays. There are a range of voyages both around the UK and abroad.
Seable also offer a range of holidays both for those just looking to get away and those looking for something more adventurous.
Meek Legacy Holiday Grant Scheme
The Meek Legacy Holiday grant provides a sum up to £150 towards a holiday for individuals with a visual impairment or up to £300 towards an affiliated clubs’ group outing.
The guidelines below set out the terms of the grant. Please read these before applying for a grant:
1. The award of a holiday grant is at the sole discretion of the Association and is subject to the availability of funds.
2. All applicants must complete an application form in full (or their carers on their behalf).
3. Grant applications may be refused by the Association without giving reasons.
4. Applicants may submit only one application per year.
5. All applications will be considered in accordance with the Associations “Equal Opportunities Policy”.
6. All applications must be accompanied by the supporting documents as requested on the application form.
7. Applicants will be notified of the success or otherwise of their application.
8. Grants must only be used to assist with the cost of taking a holiday.
9. Grants will be paid directly into the applicant’s bank account.
10. Grant applications are considered at the the Association’s Grants Sub-Committee meetings only, which are held every 12 weeks.
11. Applicants must allow adequate time for applications to be processed, taking account of the frequency of Grant Sub-Committee meetings as indicated above.
The application form for the Meek Legacy Holiday Grant can be downloaded by clicking here: Meek Legacy holiday grant form
For more information, please call our office on 020 8423 5141.